Pasta with Kale and Turkey Sausage
Beach Body® Recipe
6 oz. dry whole wheat pasta
1 tsp. olive oil
½ medium yellow (or orange) bell pepper, chopped
½ medium onion, chopped
8 oz. Italian-style turkey sausage, chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
Sea salt and ground black pepper (to taste; optional)
½ cup low-sodium, organic fat-free chicken broth
1 bunch kale, ribs removed, chopped (about 3 cups)
1 Tbsp. shredded Parmesan cheese (to taste; optional)
1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Set aside.
2. Heat large skillet over medium heat.
3. Add oil, bell pepper, and onion; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
4. Add sausage and garlic, Season with salt and pepper if desired; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 to 7 minutes, or until sausage starts to brown.
5. Add broth and kale; cook, stirring occasionally, adding additional broth or water as needed, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until kale is soft.
6. Add pasta to sausage mixture.
7. Top with cheese if desired.
Pesto Zucchini Noodles with Chicken
Beach Body® Recipe
1 tsp. olive oil
½ medium red onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 cup sliced mushrooms
4 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
2 medium zucchini
1 Tbsp. basil pesto sauce
6 oz. cooked chicken breast, boneless, skinless, sliced, warm
1. Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
2. Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
3. Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.
4. Add mushrooms and basil; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until mushrooms release liquid. Set aside.
5. Using a vegetable peeler, cut each zucchini into lengthwise strips about ⅛ inch thick. Turn zucchini slightly after cutting each strip to work evenly around the outside, stopping when you hit the seeds at the core. Discard cores. Cut slices lengthwise into ½- inch ribbons. Set aside.
6. Add zucchini to onion mixture; cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, for 2 to 4 minutes, or until heated through.
7. Add pesto; mix well.
8. Evenly divide zucchini mixture between two serving plates; evenly top with chicken.
Chicken Stirfry with Brown Rice
1 tablespoon peanut oil
2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
1 medium onion, diced
2 cups sliced carrots
1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into thin strips
2 cups sugar snap peas
1 (15-ounce) can baby corn, drained
2 cups broccoli florets
1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
Heat oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and ginger and cook 1 minute. Add chicken and cook 3 to 4 minutes, until starting to brown, stirring constantly. Add onions, carrots, and peppers and cook 1 minute. Add snap peas, corn and broccoli and cook 2 minutes. Add soy sauce and cook 2 minutes, until vegetables are crisp-tender.
Dissolve cornstarch in chicken broth in a small bowl and add to wok. Simmer 2 minutes, until sauce thickens. Serve over rice.
Roasted Cauliflower and Butternut Squash Soup
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 butternut squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
salt and ground black pepper to taste
1 teaspoon butter
diced 2 cloves garlic
pressed 1/2 cup shredded carrot
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
2 pinches cayenne pepper or to taste
4 cups chicken stock
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
2 ounces cream cheese
*** I didn’t use the carrots or cream cheese, instead i added roasted cauliflower and 3 low-fat Laughing Cow cheese triangles. I also added
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon Cumin
1/2-1 tablespoon Curry
Remember all spices are really to taste so always add or take away to your preference.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
Rub olive oil on cut-side of butternut squash halves; sprinkle each with salt and pepper. Lay squash, cut-side down, on prepared baking sheet.
Bake squash in the preheated oven until tender, about 1 hour. Scoop squash flesh into a bowl and mash.
Melt butter in a pot over medium heat. Cook and stir onion and garlic in melted butter until onion is slightly softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add carrots; cook and stir until carrot and onion are tender, 5 to 10 minutes.
Stir mashed squash, marjoram, celery seed, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper into onion mixture; cook and stir until heated through, 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in chicken stock; bring mixture to a boil.
Gradually add cream and cream cheese to squash mixture; stir until cream cheese is melted and incorporated. Bring to a simmer and cook until flavors blend, 30 minutes.
½ head cauliflower (about 2 cups riced)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon oregano
Pre-heat oven to 400° F.
Prep a cookie sheet or pizza stone by grease it with oil. You can grease the cookie sheet or use greased aluminum foil. It will stick if you don't grease it properly!! (I used a Pampered Chef baking stone, and made sure to spray it before putting on the crust.
Remove the stems and leaves from your cauliflower and chop the florets into chunks. Add to a food processor (I used my Vitamix) and pulse just until the texture is similar to rice. If you don't have a food processor or Vitamix, you can grate the cauliflower with a cheese grater or chop it.
Sauté cauliflower "rice" in a non-stick skillet over medium heat and cook until translucent, approximately 6-8 minutes. (You can use the microwave for this as well. Just place cauliflower in an uncovered microwave-safe bowl and cook for 8 minutes.)
In a bowl combine the cooked cauliflower with all remaining ingredients.
Spread dough out evenly over foil (or stone) - about ¼ to ⅓ of an inch thick. The pizza should be about 9-10 inches in diameter.
Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the crust is golden, crispy on the edges and cooked through the middle.
Remove the crust from the oven.
Top with pizza sauce and toppings. Be careful not to add too many heavy toppings as you don't want to weigh down the crust.
Broil the pizza for 5 minutes, or until the toppings are hot and the cheese is melted. Allow the pizza to cool for 2-3 minutes then cut and serve immediately.
*** I like to use my favorites sautéed mushrooms and turkey pepperoni
Turkey Burgers and Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
Turkey Burgers seasoned with be Runa black truffle Seed Salt®
I use the Costco turkey burgers & will often just use my counter top grill.
1 cup uncooked quinoa
fat-free feta cheese, small container
1 tbsp garlic
1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
salt and pepper
2 cups chicken broth
Cook quinoa with chicken broth then place in the fridge to cool (stirring occasionally to ensure it cools. Then peel cucumber, remove seeds and dice into small pieces mix together in a bowl with chopped parsley, garlic, feta, lemon juice, and halved cherry tomatoes(to preference). Season with salt and pepper.
In a large bowl mix together the cooled quinoa with olive oil, then stir in the mixture of ingredients.
Veggie and Turkey Sausage Quiche
2 large eggs
1/2 cup egg white (or 4 egg whites)
1 small onion dice
1 cup shredded cheese (Your preference, I used colby jack)
1 cup feta cheese low fat
10 oz frozen spinach thawed, water squeezed out
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 tsp canola oil
2 tbsp panko bread crumbs
**** I add sautéed mushrooms, onions and red pepper and add 4 cooked & diced turkey sausage links
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit (190 degrees celsius). Use a paper towel to lightly coat the inside of a casserole dish with 1 tsp of canola oil. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs onto the oiled dish.
Pour the other 1 tsp of oil in a frying pan and heat over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent (about 5 mins).
Add the spinach to the onion and cook out the remaining moisture from the spinach (about 3-5 minutes more). Let the pan cool while you prepare the next step.
In a bowl, mix together the eggs, egg white, shredded cheese, feta cheese, salt, and pepper. Pour this mixture into the cooled pan with the spinach and onion, mix well.
Pour the mixture into the casserole dish, on top of the breadcrumbs, and bake in the oven until done, 30-45 minutes.
Beach Body® Recipe
1 bunch (about 6 oz.) kale leaves
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Remove kale leaves from stems. Tear leaves into bite-sized pieces. Discard stems.
3. Wash and thoroughly dry kale with a salad spinner or paper towel.
4. Line large baking sheet with parchment paper, if desired.
5. Combine leaves and oil in medium bowl; toss gently to blend.
6. Add desired flavoring combinations; mix well.
7. Arrange kale on prepared baking sheet in a single layer.
8. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until crisp.
9. Transfer onto a wire rack or paper towels; cool.